With winter fast approaching/sometimes already here, we had to really step it up a notch to get our Tiny Home weatherproofed.
Here’s where we left off last time:
We made so much progress that I’ll just let the photos speak for themselves. Thanks to Josh, Jack and Mark again for all your hard work! 🙂
WHEW! It was definitely worth all the long hours, sweat and slivers to be done wrestling with tarps. It’s also so nice to have a little peace of mind that our home can now stand up to some weather without getting destroyed.
Looking back at all the progress made on Project Tiny in the past two weeks, I can hardly help smiling. It’s so incredibly rewarding to see a house taking shape where just a trailer once stood. I’ve got a lot to say tonight so I’ll just jump right in!
When we left off, the first floor walls and loft floor were all set. That meant it was time to build the dormer walls.
These little stubby walls will be on the sides of the sleeping loft to give more headroom up there (Josh is tall!).
Next, it was time to build and install the end walls! Enormous thanks to our friend Mark for lending a helping hand again! What a great guy.
At this point we were ready for the ridge beam! We supported the ridge beam temporarily on both ends and in the middle.
We measured and cut a bunch of rafters but unfortunately it got dark fast before we could get much further.
In the daylight, the next step was to install the A-frame rafters. We cut them at a 45 degree angle for a good pitch and to keep it simple.
It was a really cooooold, wet day but we really appreciated our fabulous hosts Jack and Julie letting us build a small fire to stay warm and keep our spirits up. We were ready to install the dormer walls!
The dormer rafters were next and it took some serious thinking to figure out how to cut the right angles and notches. Eventually we ended up using a 15 degree pitch and found the perfect notch. Our Ryobi compound miter saw was super handy for this part!
Josh singlehandedly attached all the metal strapping pieces that strengthen the connection of our rafters, ridge beam and top walls. He also made a Home Depot run for more boards for our rafters… we were eight 2×6’s short. Thanks, Josh, you rock!
Before the sun set on another weekend, we even had time to add some temporary wall braces and get a couple sheets of plywood on!
I couldn’t be happier with how things are shaping up, and am super pumped to box out the plywood exterior this coming Wednesday!