Over the past couple of weekends, the Tiny Platform has become the shell of a Tiny House! It started with cutting and piecing together the sill plates, which would become the bottom of our Walls!
With the sill plates sized, cut and drilled to perfection, it was soooo awesome seeing them turn into the shell of our future home.
For this part of the process, Josh and I had a wonderful helper, our good friend Mark. So much gratitude to him for lending a hand and his building expertise!
The silver things in the photo above are our hurricane hold-downs. We used Simpson Strong-Ties as recommended by our Tumbleweed Trailer plans. These babies will help our walls hold tight to the trailer for dear life and make our home on wheels basically bombproof. They all required a double stud to be built directly next to them. Otherwise we built the walls using the 2×4 sill plates, studs spaced 24″ on center and a double top-plate. When we finished building each wall piece, we checked if it was square and then secured it in place with wood glue, screws and temporary supports.
Here’s Josh hard at work installing the hurricane tie-downs:
Josh also was a rock star and took on the installation of the porch, starting with metal flashing to keep water from getting into the trailer frame.
We chose ChoiceDek composite decking material in Harvest Brown. Composite decking like this is made from a blend of ground up recycled plastic (grocery bags, milk jugs) and sawdust/wood bits. I’m not a big fan of plastics in general… but I am a big fan of recycling and super durable low maintenance products! It’s also supposed to weather nicely within six months or so.
Putting up the walls made us all feel like Studs! During the process we learned that deck screws are way more pleasant to use than drywall screws, and definitely worth the extra cost (~$30/5 lbs.)!
Then it was time to get started on the loft!!!!! We started with 2×6 beams spanning across at the top of each stud. We doubled up on the front and middle beams for extra security.
Then we checked each one to see if it was level.
We put an enormous number of deck screws into the 1/2″ plywood sheets that would be our second floor!
THAT was really exciting, to see a second floor! But it also meant our next step was to take the whole project outside before starting on the roof.
It was a tiiiight squeeze getting in the garage in the first place, so I was a little nervous about getting it out again! Luckily Mark maneuvered like a pro and… ta-da!
I’m having a fantastic time seeing this project come together, and want to thank Josh and Mark for helping me make this dream a reality (and of course our gracious hosts Jack and Julie, again and again!). By building the walls and loft, it feels so much less like a wooden platform and more like a home!
Next step… The Roof!