Get On the Floor!

One million self-tapping screws and six sheets of plywood into the Tiny House project, I’m thrilled to report that after last weekend the subfloor is done!  Here’s the scoop on part 2 of the Subfloor Situation:

Josh and I were really smart to mark the locations of the steel trailer cross-supports before installing the 3/4″ plywood decking. Having hash marks on the side of the trailer allowed us to run a chalk line across, so we knew where to put the screws (they would have been useless if not hitting the metal bars). As recommended by the Tumbleweed trailer plans, we put in a screw every 6″ around the trailer edges and across each metal support.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I have to say again how impressed I’ve been with this tiny yellow impact driver. It’s hard to believe there can be so much power behind something so little (hey, I hope you’re listening, fellow short people)!!

With Josh going to town with the impact driver, I thought it’d be a good time to get started on framing out the porch supports. I had picked up a 2×6 cedar board earlier in the morning (needed to use a decay-resistant wood like cedar because the porch will have open slats for drainage) and ripped it in half to make two 8′ long 2×3’s. After some careful measuring the porch framing was ready for assembly.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I used two screws to secure each side of the middle support and make an “I” shape. The screws sounded awful going into the cedar boards. A terrible squeaking… not sure if that’s normal or if I was doing it wrong, but either way the porch supports all fit and ended up being miraculously level in all directions and square to boot!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Meanwhile, Josh was still screwing in screws like a beast.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Here’s a close-up of the fancy notching we had to do to fit the subfloor around each wheel well (not an easy feat):

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

It had been a long day of subflooring and Josh and I were both fading fast. When we were making a custom L-shaped piece of plywood to fit around the porch cutout I’ll admit I made a rookie mistake and accidentally trimmed the wrong side of the piece… d’oh! We corrected the mistake by fitting together two rectangles to form the “L.” So it goes. Here’s Josh driving it home:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Then it was time to install the last piece of the subfloor! Looking at it all completed and together, all the little imperfections of the project seemed to fade away and be replaced by a huge sense of pride.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

At this point I want to thank Josh for being on board with this crazy dream and for spending every weekend obsessing over this project with me. It’s been a blast so far to see it coming together together, and I can’t wait to take on the next step… walls!!!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

(*Note: This photo is missing some screws since we had run out… 5 boxes wasn’t nearly enough apparently! Stay tuned to see all the screws in place next time)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s