I was so excited to get things in place and start The First Whole Weekend of Building that I was able to back the trailer into its building position on (okay, almost) the first try! It was a tight squeeze fitting it snugly into the shed door. It is now in an ideal position where all the jacks are over a hard concrete surface and the majority of the trailer is protected from the elements, but so that it is also only wedged in far enough to still be easily pulled out when it’s roofing time!
Before I say another word, I must stop and thank our lovely hosts Jack and Julie for opening up their home to this project, and for giving Josh and me a place to build our dreams! They are wonderful, kind people… and did I mention they are Packer fans?! (Does it get any better?)
After backing into place, first things first we worked on leveling the trailer using the four convenient corner jacks built into the trailer. Josh raised and lowered each jack as I kept my eye on the bubble. During this process the two of us were running around the trailer like we were playing musical chairs, because as soon as one jack was adjusted it threw off the levelness of everything else. But, eventually we got it right and had a level foundation for our future home!
Soon after getting the trailer situated, our lumber order arrived from Home Depot courtesy of Delivery Driver Duane. (More on working with Home Depot and my endless gratitude for their patience at a later date).
With everything in place it was time to begin constructin’! We needed to start by cleaning out the steel pockets in the trailer, as they had gotten surprisingly full of debris while getting the trailer situated. It was amazing to see the trailer shine with a little good ol’ elbow grease.
Next, a bead of caulk needed to go around all edges of each pocket. This will protect the subfloor insulation and the bottom of the house from any water that might splash up from below the trailer.
Lookin’ good! Safe and sealed:
Next came the XPS foam sheets to fill up the steel pockets. They needed to be “scored and snapped” into the right shape to fit in each pocket.
The next day the caulk around each pocket was cured and dry, and we were ready to pop in our floor insulation!
We used a 2″ thick sheet topped with a 1″ thick sheet in each pocket to make a total of 3″ of (pink) insulation for our floor. After much trimming and finessing, we had the foam sheets all in place and were ready to enter the wild world of Spray Foam!
They don’t call it “Great Stuff” for nothin’! I loved using the spray foam (okay, it’s orange… but definitely pinkish orange!), which expands crazily in a deliciously satisfying manner when applied. Fast forward through five cans of spray foam, letting it dry and trimming all the nubs of foam popping up, and we were ready to cut and glue on our Sill Seal. This third type of foam (also pink!), basically just a squishy foam ribbon, is intended to cover all the steel bars to prevent crosswise air flow and moisture transfer between the trailer and the plywood subfloor.
Satisfied that our home will be sufficiently cozy from the bottom because of our “Fifty Shades of Pink” insulation, we called it a weekend and look forward to the next steps: installing a wood fascia trim around the outside of the trailer and slapping on the plywood subfloor!
Stay tuned for more to come!